Upcoming Events
  • Class of 2024: Graduation May 23
  • May 22: Senior Parade
The Student News Site of Joshua High School

New NHS

Revamping National Honor Society
https%3A%2F%2Fresources.finalsite.net%2Fimages%2Ff_auto%2Cq_auto%2Fv1699460738%2Fjoshuaisdorg%2Fcchinhec4r8rakozof8l%2Fnhs_logoNHS.gif
https://resources.finalsite.net/images/f_auto,q_auto/v1699460738/joshuaisdorg/cchinhec4r8rakozof8l/nhs_logoNHS.gif

Scholarship, Service, Leadership, and Character.

Diego Ramirez

These are the four pillars that make up the National Honor Society, also known as NHS. It is one of the oldest, largest and most-recognized student organizations in American schools.

“[National Honor Society] fosters leadership, accountability, character, and integrity,” former NHS Advisor Angela Nichols said. “It teaches [students] the value of serving others.”

The organization empowers and equips students with the knowledge and skills to be transformative leaders in school and community environments.

“I’ve learned that it’s really important to reach out and help the community at any chance you get,” NHS Secretary Lauren Rogers said. “I wish to personally make sure that all NHS members understand the significance of serving the community, having plenty of activities and events to be involved in and wanting to be a part of something bigger.”

Since the organization’s beginning it has been a prevalent and exclusive organization for hard-working intellectuals. It offers an opportunity for students to represent their school and local chapter by offering to serve their community on a local scale.

“The organization has grown and has not lost its relevance,” Nichols said. “It has become even more important because post-COVID young people became very isolated and self-centered, so teaching the students the importance of service and community engagement became crucial.”

Although there is always room for improvement, the current National Honor Society environment is exceptionally amiable. The organization is a safe and comfortable space for members to join together and help each other progress both socially, and academically.

“In my term as VP, I would like to introduce new community service and fundraising opportunities, a system where every member’s voice is heard and is put into consideration,” NHS Vice President Madalyn Bleeker said. “So far the other officers and I have been meeting about ways to improve this for next year.”

National Honor Society is a reputable and distinguished organization where students are given the opportunity to increase their participation in school activity, and their community as a whole. Many students hope to earn a spot in this organization and strive to be active members.

“NHS has always been considered a very prestigious organization and selecting future leaders was a great responsibility,” Nichols said. “I didn’t have to manage; I had to lead. I gave the students the lead to oversee day to day operations.”

Trusting young leaders to foster the future of National Honor Society is very important to the growth and enhancement of the organization. 

“I want to help NHS become an organization that can reach out and have a positive impact on a greater number of people,” NHS Treasurer Julia Peña said. “I believe the new office can bring organizational skills and new innovative ideas.”

In addition to serving the community, the organization also allows students to create connections between students. This allows students to network with others who share similar interests and goals.

https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/

“NHS is one of the best school organizations because it allows members to gain experience in service and makes a positive impact in the community,” NHS Public Relations officer Gianna Leon said. “Not only that, but NHS also allows people to make new friends throughout the year.”

Members help by putting time aside of their already-busy high school schedule to work a few hours doing community service and come together to build a stronger connection among one another for an even better environment.

“Hopefully, the rest of the cabinet and I will be able to bring more structure to National Honor Society,” NHS Public Relations officer Folu Olajide said. “We would like to be able to get people more involved in NHS, have more productive meetings, and make NHS a more enjoyable organization for everyone.”

With the collaboration strategies between the new leaders and members, the officers are planning to set up a more successful chapter in the near future.

“I envision the future of NHS to be extraordinarily bright,” NHS President Yasir Al-Agele said. “This organization possesses the most passionate officers, most dedicated members, and a tremendously devoted advisor. Considering all leaders it is almost guaranteed that this organization is bound for nothing short of exceptional success.”

With a great chapter body and a strong mindset this organization is sure to expand in numbers and positive reputation in years to come.

“I believe that this [next school] year NHS is going to be the most outstanding yet,” NHS Advisor Denise Coontz said. “I feel I can trust [the new president’s] leadership and his new office.”