Upcoming Events
  • April 22-26 Early Voting
  • April 25 - Softball Playoff Game 7:00
  • April 26 | Publication Day
The Student News Site of Joshua High School

Beyond Work

Students’ Views On Homework
Beyond+Work
Keeli Clark

Homework is a constant topic in schooling as a whole; it has its benefits and drawbacks. It helps students retain information more efficiently while, at times, causing stress. 

Students tend to think of this topic both positively and negatively; sophomore Keeli Clark believes homework helps her put time towards her passion.

“Homework at school affects me by allowing me to put time towards learning,” Clark said, “which is a big passion of mine. 

Another positive way it is viewed is through the thought of mastery; sophomore Briana Rios believes that the more someone practices the better one becomes.

“A pro to homework is that it helps us master a topic,” Rios said. “Since our classes are only about 45 minutes, sometimes it can get hard to reach your best ability on something. I believe that the more you practice something, the better you can get.”

It can also be seen as a way to gain more beneficial skills. Sophomore Ethan Henry believes it can improve time management as well as learning skills.

“Some pros of homework are time management and learning,” Henry said. “The reason time management is a pro is because in everyday life you do time management to get things done in a timely manner. The reason learning is so important is because it allows you to grow your knowledge that could also be used in everyday life or to help another person.”

However, students may think of this in a different light. Some may see it as a burden or an obstacle in the way they must overcome to continue moving forward.

“I don’t feel like we should have homework,” sophomore Myles Lillo said. “When we are home it should be our relaxation time, not overtime.”

Others may see it as something that shouldn’t be required; sophomore Jacob Pasket believes teachers shouldn’t give work exclusively done at home. 

“I think students should only have homework if they didn’t finish something at school,” Jacob Pasket said. “I don’t think teachers should ever give work that should exclusively be done at home.”

In a similar but slightly different perspective, some believe that if homework must be required in school it should be reduced in some way.

“If homework is required for a class,” senior Caleb Pasket said, “it shouldn’t be given as much or, at the very least, be given more time to do it. 

Homework is an enormous part of schooling during this age and people have different perspectives and opinions on the topic. If there was one thing students could change about homework, they would want it to be more fun and enjoyable. 

“If I could change one thing about homework,” Henry said,” it would be to make it fun in a way. A way where you could learn something from the homework and have some sort of enjoyment out of doing it.”