Upcoming Events
  • April 22-26 Early Voting
  • April 25 - Softball Playoff Game 7:00
  • April 26 | Publication Day
The Student News Site of Joshua High School

Life in Movies

Life in Movies

Many people live life boxed into the expectations of society and the people around them, spending the majority of our waking hours attempting to ‘fit in.’ The problem with fitting in and seeking acceptance among others is that they forfeit a lot of the individuality that would otherwise gained by going beyond the expectation society has placed upon people. This is a losing battle; people are always going to have expectations of others. People will judge in some way, whether it’s in a movie or in reality. 

In the situation of a movie, judgements are: ‘Is it new? Is it exciting?’ The people looked up to on the big screen become slightly altered versions of oneself. People around them see that they did things differently than the average population; they spent their time differently and as a result, they are living lives others are eager to hear about or want to live.

Most people want to change the lives they are living. People will put in place an alternate version of themselves to push themselves to become the best versions of themselves but more specifically the ‘character’ they look up to or want a life like. 

“[I choose the movie Twilight] because I love the characters,” junior Lysette Hernandez said.  “I love the complexity of all the characters.” 

Watching movies is one way that people  can imagine their lives in a different reality. 

“[The scene I would want to live in is] where Edward and Jacob told Bella to choose between them, so she could stop stringing them both along,” Hernandez said. “It was a difficult decision for Bella, and it hit home for me. Most movies can give an emotional response to the brain. But In Twilight, [it’s] both because in reality and emotionally, you have to make choices and those tough decisions that might be difficult. In the movie, it has emotion and reality and we go through hard decisions everyday and this is my favorite movie.”

Movies can change a person’s way of thinking by providing a more creative and critical way of thinking.

“In Twilight, it’s about friendship and love,” Hernandez said. “All the characters have a connection they all have with one other. Plus I love the movie.

Movies will always be an experience for those who are watching.

“Movies will always affect us in different ways whether it is a sad movie, funny or just a short film,” Hernandez said. “It’s a way people grow and become the person they are today; everyone is different.”