Upcoming Events
  • April 22-26 Early Voting
  • April 25 - Softball Playoff Game 7:00
  • April 26 | Publication Day
The Student News Site of Joshua High School

Wonder Woman

Student Council Teacher Does It All
Wonder+Woman
Mica Martin
Talon Yearbook Staff

The lights flash.

Music forces everyone to do nothing but dance.

The cafeteria is full of students wearing dresses and formal attire, every last one moving and screaming the songs.

This is the homecoming dance, and it was all planned by the Stuent Council, led by Mrs. Mica Martin. 

Martin carries Joshua on her back, and it is no small feat. She is behind most events taking place at Joshua, the biggest one being homecoming week which spans an entire 5-day school week and consists of dress up days, the parade, a pep rally, the homecoming football game and, finally, the homecoming dance. These tasks are understandably challenging on her mental health, and students need to realize that. She takes her job very seriously and works tirelessly to make her students feel understood and appreciated.

Before she worked as the Teen Leadership teacher and StuCo leader, she was an English teacher.

“I wanted to become an English teacher because I loved literature and wanted to help people develop a love for reading,” Martin said.

It’s quite a switch from English to StuCo, but a teacher of Martin’s was the old StuCo sponsor and asked Martin to Volunteer from time to time. Eventually, the old sponsor retired and she jumped to take over. 

Part of Martin’s class is to help students who have trouble with public speaking and big crowds, as the class is required for a speech credit. This means valuing the mental health of the kids, especially the ones who have trouble with public speaking and anxiety. This can easily result in issues for Martin, but she loves her job so much that it actually helps her.

“The conversations that I have with my students honestly help me work through some of my own issues,” Martin said.  “I have to be honest with my kids and myself if I expect them to be vulnerable and share with the class.” 

Even though Martin is known for being so understanding, it needs to be understood that she is also human and feels human emotions, so sometimes she may not be as patient.

There are times that I have to remind myself to be patient,” Martin said.  “I also try to keep in mind that my students are just people – we all have flaws.  Their lives outside of school are just as important as my own.”

Martin is, and will always be Joshua’s favorite teacher. By spreading her love of teaching and her understanding nature, she will impact her students for years, even after graduation. 

“Be open to learning as much as you are to teaching!”

1
View Comments (1)
Donate to The Owl Flight
$10
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Joshua High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.