Upcoming Events
  • April 22-26 Early Voting
  • April 25 - Softball Playoff Game 7:00
  • April 26 | Publication Day
The Student News Site of Joshua High School

Be Aware

Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Be+Aware

October has been Breast Cancer Awareness month since 1985. Seven years later, the pink ribbon became the symbol of the campaign. During this month, breast cancer charities increase awareness of the disease and raise funds for research. 

Every day more than 700 women in the US are diagnosed with breast cancer. For these women, the impact of breast cancer extends beyond the single month dedicated to awareness. According to the Texas Department of Health Services, 19,921 women in Texas were diagnosed with breast cancer last year.

Zachry, Celeste

And not only does it affect the patient itself, but also their families, as children who lose either their mother or father through cancer experience health and educational disadvantages throughout their lives.

Only one out of every 100 breast cancer diagnoses in the United States is found in a man. The number of breast cancer patients is significantly higher among women.

It is rare for men to get diagnosed with breast cancer because men don’t have a lot of tubular tissue, which is where breast milk is produced.

Removing the cancer through surgery is the most common way of treatment, followed by chemotherapy. The 5-year relative survival rate for women in the United States with breast cancer is 91%. 

It is estimated that 43,700 breast cancer patients will die from this disease in the United States in 2023. In addition, black women have a 40% higher rate of death from breast cancer than white women. 

This is often because of lower incomes or the lack of health insurance, especially in poor countries. Countries with weaker healthcare systems are least able to manage the increasing burden of breast cancer. 

The school will dedicate the Lady Owl Volleyball Game on Friday 13 to breast cancer awareness month, so the audience is requested to wear pink. For this event, the school offered Pink Out shirts. All proceeds will support a community member battling breast cancer. 

Get ready for next week, October 23-27 and make sure you dress up for Cancer Awareness Recognition Education week. The week is dedicated to different types of cancer such as lung cancer, brain cancer and throat cancer. 

October is not only for breast cancer, but also to everyone who is fighting any type of cancer. Texas Health and Human Services is encouraging preventive care and screenings for women during October. 

Your support counts!

Caleb Sharp

Donate:

Breast Cancer Research Foundation

American Cancer Society

1
View Comments (1)
Donate to The Owl Flight
$10
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Joshua High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.