Scratching The Surface

A deep dive into the thoughts of suicidal teenagers.
Scratching The Surface

Self-harm, a concerning behavior among adolescents, has become increasingly prevalent in high school settings. Self-harm, also known as non-suicidal self-injury, refers to the deliberate, non-accidental injury to one’s body tissue without suicidal intent. Common methods include cutting, burning, scratching and hitting oneself. It is often used as a coping mechanism to deal with overwhelming emotions or distress.

“I consider self-harm as a form of relapse rather than just physically harming yourself, ” senior Nyx Doyel said. “Substance abuse, not eating/binge eating, and “bed-rotting” for weeks is how I self-harm the most. These forms of self-harm have replaced physical self-harm that I used to do when I was younger.”

Self-harm among high school students can manifest in various ways, often accompanied by subtle signs that may go unnoticed by peers and adults. Behavioral indicators such as wearing long sleeves even in warm weather to conceal scars or fresh cuts, sudden changes in mood or social withdrawal, and frequent excuses for injuries are common red flags. 

Taken with an old Helios 58mm

“I cannot remember when I started having these emotions; I feel like they’ve been with me my entire life, ” Doyel said. “It feels like a cold, wet pit in the hard ground that either you or others have dug for you. Your nails are splintered and bloodied from your attempts at climbing out to reach the warm sunlight.”

There are numerous reasons why a student might engage in self-harm. High school can be a challenging period marked by academic pressure, social struggles, family issues, or underlying mental health conditions like depression, anxiety, or trauma. Self-harm is an attempt to cope, offering a sense of control or temporary relief from overwhelming emotions. 

“I opened a bottle of pills and put many in my mouth. Before I swallowed them, my cat rubbed up against my leg and meowed at me. I spit them all out immediately, Doyel said. “My cat has gotten me through so much. Taking a nap with her is soothing, and helps a lot when I’m stressed out.”

Additionally, feelings of low self-worth or a lack of effective communication skills to express inner turmoil may drive individuals to resort to self-harm as a way to communicate their distress or seek attention. 

“My first time was when I was 12 I tried to overdose on pills, and then I tried again when I was 15. Other than those two times I’ve only cut, and I’ve cut a lot,”  junior Caroline Perez said. “When I feel this way, I feel out of control and harming myself makes me feel more in control and grounded. When I act, I feel relieved knowing that I control what happens to me and my body, and just knowing that I can end it all at any moment is reassuring.”

High school students grappling with suicidal thoughts or actions often have experiences of peer conflict, bullying, or feelings of loneliness that exacerbate these feelings of hopelessness, along with personal struggles, such as family problems, identity issues, substance abuse, or mental illness, which further contributes to a sense of isolation and desperation.

“I used to write multiple notes for various people I found significant enough in my life to have. Most of them were consoling, like if I were to die, to move on and be happy because that’s what I would want,” Doyel said. “I never truly healed after one of my old friends committed suicide, and that’s what I think that some of the people close to me would go through. That is one of the reasons why I won’t commit.”

To any high school students struggling with self-harm: You are not alone. There are people who care about you and want to support you through this. Reach out to a trusted friend, family member, teacher, or counselor for help. You deserve support and healing. You are stronger than you know, and there is hope for a brighter future.

“If you are struggling with self-harm, there is always someone out there willing to help you. I know it gets redundant when people say, ‘You aren’t alone,’ but you aren’t,” Doyel said. “Be cautious about who you keep near your heart because many people do not have good intentions and may bring you down.”