Upcoming Events
  • May 22: Senior Parade
  • May 15: Senior Awards and Celebration
  • May 14: Buff Puff
The Student News Site of Joshua High School

Unlocking Opportunity

Student Views on Associate’s Degree Program
Unlocking Opportunity
https://www.joshuaisd.org/departments/curriculum-instruction-and-assessment/advanced-academics/associates-degree-program

The Associate’s Degree Program (ADP) is a collaboration between Hill College and the school district. Students have the ability to apply in eighth grade and, if accepted, would start in their ninth grade year. These students will complete multiple college-level classes until eventually graduating from the program with a degree during their senior year. 

This program gives students a way to get ahead in college as well as fully enjoy their high school life. It allows students to see what college classes are going to be like and allow them to experience said classes to their full extent. These components give students multiple reasons to apply for the program. 

“I knew that by being in the program, I would have a head start to college,” senior Brooke Burge said. “I have always known that I wanted to do nursing so this program was very beneficial to helping me start early with that track.”

As these students go through the program and continue their studies, they must overcome difficulties. They have to overcome obstacles and pay attention to the professor’s agenda as well as what the professor has posted. However, the level of how challenging the program is depends on the individual person. 

“I have found the program has turned out very easy,” Burge said. “The professors do treat you like adults, (which can be scary as a freshman) but they also work with you very well and ensure you have all of the resources you need to succeed. Gradually adding classes in also was a factor that helped me learn how to balance and made the classes easier.”

Even with all the obstacles and the, at times, overwhelming work, students have found the program extremely helpful and beneficial. Students in the program believe that it is completely worth the effort so far and are extremely grateful for the opportunity to join the program. 

Yes I do believe that it is worth the time and effort,” junior Meleah Truitt said. “Because you will graduate high school with an associates degree which will look great on college applications and allow you to have a head start when going to college. It also gives you two years of free college, which is a huge amount of money lifted off you.”

Associate’s Degree Program students believe the program has changed them and for the better. They think it has helped them gain new skills as well as improve their ability to respond to problems and find a solution. 

“ADP has introduced me to people who have stronger work ethics than myself,” junior Dalton Hancock said. “Which has in turn shaped and bettered my work ethics. The rigor of the classes and how the information is taught has given some insight on how well I will do in college and what study methods I can look into.”

Once a student completes the program, and they have graduated high school, they will be able to head into their Bachelor’s degree earlier than the average time to begin that degree. This can benefit a student and help them get one step closer to grasping the job they wish to eventually acquire in the future. 

“In the short term (first five or so years) in the workforce post-grad, it can look incredible to be able to graduate with two unrelated degrees,” Hancock said. “It shows that someone can multitask, stick to a commitment and that they know the worth of a degree.”