To Serve, To Protect

To Serve, To Protect

Life Behind Badge

Deloris (DeeDee) Mihalchik has put her life on the line for 28 years for the public. She fights fearlessly to keep everyone safe and comfortable, while she could be going through issues that the student body can’t even comprehend. Her mental health is tested every single day, so everyone should take a moment to appreciate her. 

After taking her civil service exam and scoring well, she received a letter from the Fort Worth Marshal’s office requesting that she apply with them. Through her faith, she applied and got accepted. She left the EMT field and entered the Law Enforcement field, where she would go on to impact hundreds of lives. 

She served as a police officer for 17 years before moving on to Glen Rose ISD where she served as a School Resource Officer for five years. After Glen Rose, she moved onto Venus ISD for another five years, and then to Joshua where she has served for one great year and hopefully many more. She truly cares about the students she serves for and it shows everyday when she effortlessly shows up to work ready for whatever the day may throw at her. 

“I sometimes get down, in that Joshua High is so BIG and busy that I don’t always feel that I’m making a substantial difference, ” she said.

Mihalchik goes through hard times, like everyone else. She has to learn new things and improvise daily while performing under extreme pressure. Through these situations, one can learn valuable information on how to deal with actions and how the problem was solved. 

“In retrospect, you reflect and see where you could have done better,” Mihalchik said. 

Even through hard days, Mihalchik stays true to herself. She never lets her temper get the best of her and understands that sometimes, students are misguided and get involved with the wrong crowds. 

“I am optimistic and forgiving,” Mihalchik said. “I believe I am blessed and strive to shake off negativity and bad days.”

Like everyone else, Mihalchik has certain things or hopes that keep her moving. For example, she gets summer break like students do. Simple tasks like this keep her going and amplify her need to protect the student body. 

“During the school year I work a lot of extracurricular activities and I do get tired,” Mihalchik said. “I hang on to the fact that with the earned comp time, I will get to take the summer off and spend time with my family and friends.”

Mihalchik serves and protects, but also creates friendships that have impacts she may not even realize are happening. 

“I feel like every day I have an opportunity to make a positive difference in someone’s life,” Mihalchik said.