Upcoming Events
  • April 22-26 Early Voting
  • April 25 - Softball Playoff Game 7:00
  • April 26 | Publication Day
The Student News Site of Joshua High School

Black Lives Matter

Students Speak About Black History Month
https%3A%2F%2Fcreativecommons.org%2Flicenses%2Fby%2F2.0%2F
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Black Lives Matter. 

Not only in February, during Black History Month. 

No. 

They matter every day. 

“[What] Black History Month means to me is an entire month that I can feel comfortable in my skin and see my people in places they are usually not in,” sophomore Thandeka Kabo said. “It also brings light to the Black struggle.”

Anyone who has knowledge of American history, knows there has been an encompassing struggle for Black people in the country. Nonetheless, the month of February can become a month for acknowledging the beauty of the lives being recognized. 

“My family celebrates Black History Month by discussing our deceased loved ones and how they lived as a powerful Black person,” senior Jasmine Panbamrung said. 

There are innumerable Black lives worthy of being celebrated, but it’s not always positive and pleasant when considering the lives of Black Americans. There will always be people who are ignorant regarding Black culture or any different culture. 

“From the day I started going to Joshua I have been harassed in many odd ways, like having people touch my natural hair or sticking pencils [into it],” freshman Abigail Tomoh said. “I felt very alone and had no friends during my time at Loflin.”

There is still so much work to be done, to give Black lives justice. One month of peace and freedom is not enough, when every other month people keep being harassed and their lives taken away. Everyone, regardless of their culture, should feel safe and be treated equally. No one deserves HATE.

“It was eighth grade and it was Black History Month. I was in my history class. We were going over slavery and the brutality of it. This group of boys kept looking in my direction, making these side remarks,” an anonymous junior said. “All that week I was picked on because of my skin color. I got my head slammed into a table and they whispered hateful things to me.”

School is supposed to be a healthy and comfortable environment for every student. Sadly, that is not reality. Harassment of someone based on race should never take place, whether it is outside of school or not.

“When doing a cotton picking activity, my classmates asked me why slaves would complain, because the activity was fun,” Panbamrung said. “These classmates proceeded to ask me if it was fun for me as it was them.”

Especially when the class is talking about African American History, it should be considered a sensitive topic and there should be much more education. Students shouldn’t feel uncomfortable when discussing such an important topic. Teachers have to pay more attention to what is said or done in classrooms. 

“Just be yourself, your skin is beautiful,” an anonymous source said. 

Black is beautiful. You are beautiful. Be proud of your ancestry. 

“My aunt Jackie, she is a lawyer and has taught me to be very confident in my hair and skin,” Timoh said.  

There are so many people out there, whether famous or part of your family, who have advocated and fought for Black Rights. Individuals who have achieved so much in life, set important goals and made history like Katherine Johnson, Dorothy Vaughan and Mary Jackson. 

“Some people could work on listening instead of talking when a Black person talks about their experience, struggles and culture,” Panbamrung said. “This would help for more people to be aware of the reason for Black History Month and the Black Lives Matter Movement. [It’s important to] stay aware, but live your life to its fullest.” 

History serves as a learning tool.  It not only provides information about what created a certain time, place, or country, but it often times also serves as what should never be repeated in life. 

“Keep doing what you are doing,” senior Averyon Baker said. “You may not realize [it], but you have a bright future ahead of you.”