Upcoming Events
  • May 22: Senior Parade
  • May 15: Senior Awards and Celebration
  • May 14: Buff Puff
The Student News Site of Joshua High School

Let’s Get Better, Tolerate Queer Rights

Lets Get Better, Tolerate Queer Rights

Love is Love.

If that were the case, then homophobia wouldn’t be present in the world. LGBTQ+ people still struggle with prejudice and discrimination today.

The equality index for Texas is almost half of what it should be, at 58%. This ranks the conservative state as 51st out of 52, including Puerto Rico and Washington D.C. Even though same-sex marriage, homosexual activity, gender reconstruction surgeries, adoption and other homosexual related aspects are legal in the state, it is still more conservative than the rest of the United States. In two states, 46% of their population do not support same-sex marriage. Unlike every other state, Texas’ censorship of queer individuals, which can lead to prison and conversion therapy, hasn’t been banned. 

On a national scale, LGBTQ+ rights improved over the past years, but the division between the opinions of supporters and their adversaries hasn’t vanished. 

According to Equaldex, USA is ranked #21 worldwide, in accepting the queer community. The index is at 76% allowing people to see that the states on the east and west coast have more laws and policies to prevent discrimination and grant LGBTQ+ people a fair lifestyle.

On Nov. 1 this year, blood donation of homosexual people became legal in Switzerland after it was banned for six years. There is not only improvement, but also countries in which the development decreases.

In some countries homosexual activity is completely illegal and death penalty as punishment is present. Afghanistan is, with 1% equality, the most anti-LGBTQ+ country worldwide.

India’s supreme court refused to legalize same-sex marriage, even after hearing 21 petitions that pleaded for the legalization. So many hopes and dreams of the queer community were attached to the petitions. According to the court, they can’t grant LGBTQ+ people the right to marry because marriage is a legislative function. 

The discussions about the queer community will never stop, while all they want is peace and equality. This is especially true in the United States, where a multitude of bills have been written. 

At least 400 anti-LGBTQ+ bills were introduced across the country this year, with half of them impacting youth. This is a record amount, as reported by American Civil Liberties Union Data. Recently, there has been a congressional push to ban access to gender-affirming health care for transgender youth. 

The topic gets pushed to the side while the curriculum, including discussions around gender identity and sexuality, in public school gets regulated. 

27 out of 52 states have not legally recognized non-binary people. Texas is one of them. Europe, on the other hand, is slightly more progressive. In 2013, Germany became the first country in the world to recognize an “indeterminate” gender on birth certificates. The gender is marked with an X. Through changes like this, non-binary and intersex people feel seen, accepted and equal by their government.

Everyone should feel protected by their government. However, many people around the world  are excluded, and not only because of their sexuality but also their gender, race or religion. 

Loving someone shouldn’t be a crime. 

Donate here to protect LGBTQ+ rights and make the world a better place!

Sources:

Equaldex 

The Guardian, India’s supreme court declines to legally recognise same-sex marriage, 17 Oct 2023

3
View Comments (3)
Donate to The Owl Flight
$10
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Joshua High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.