Unraveling Struggles

Exploring Dynamics of Eating Disorders among Students, Role of Enablers, Importance of Support & Awareness
Benjamin Robert Haydon
Benjamin Robert Haydon

The tears won’t stop.

Natural curves, marks and edges create a silhouette in the mirror, which is met only with disgust.

It all needed to go.

Eating disorders represent a complex and often misunderstood category of mental health conditions. Characterized by severe disturbances in eating behaviors, they pose significant physical and psychological risks. These disorders, including anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and binge-eating disorder, affect millions worldwide, transcending age, gender and socio-economic boundaries. Understanding the underlying causes, risk factors and the importance of early intervention is crucial in addressing this pervasive public health issue. 

“I avoided anything more than a certain number of calories, meat, sweets, etc,” an anonymous source said. “Anything that made me feel fat, anything without whole grain, and sometimes even anything that’s not just soup or water and tea.”

Eating disorders among students have become a concerning issue, with statistics revealing a distressing prevalence. The demanding academic environment, peer pressure, societal emphasis on body image and the transition to newfound independence all play significant roles. Additionally, the regularity of diet culture, social media and exposure to unrealistic beauty standards intensify the risk, making it imperative to address these factors for the well-being of students. 

A study by Neumark-Sztainer et al. in 2012 found that, in the United States, approximately 3.3% of high school students reported engaging in extreme weight control behaviors. Another study by Lipson and Sonneville in 2017 suggested that as many as 15% of high school students may struggle with disordered eating.

“I was very insecure about my body and how others perceived it. I had very low self-esteem due to women’s beauty standards,” an anonymous source said. “I always saw girls my age that had flat stomachs and I wished that was me more days than others. I know now, after taking a few classes, that almost everything can be faked on social media.”

Anorexia, bulimia and binge-eating disorders are mental health conditions that revolve around unhealthy relationships with food and body image. Anorexia nervosa is characterized by extreme food restriction, an intense fear of gaining weight and a distorted body image, often resulting in severe physical and psychological consequences. Bulimia nervosa involves a cycle of binge eating followed by compensatory behaviors such as self-induced vomiting or excessive exercise, driven by a preoccupation with body shape and weight. Binge eating disorder entails recurrent episodes of consuming large amounts of food without compensatory measures, leading to guilt and distress. All three disorders can have devastating effects on an individual’s physical and emotional well-being, requiring professional help and support for treatment and recovery.

“I have a very hard time eating in front of others. I’m scared I’ll be judged or fat-shamed, it gets so bad to the point I want to throw up, cry, and pass out,” an anonymous source said.

“I sometimes feel self-conscious about eating in front of others because they might judge the meal I brought for lunch or comment on how fast I’m eating,” another anonymous source said 

“The people who care about me wish I’d get over my fear of eating in front of people, they wish I’d eat more,” a third anonymous source said.

High school students with eating disorders often exhibit a complex interplay of physical, psychological and behavioral signs. These young individuals might experience rapid weight fluctuations, fatigue and gastrointestinal issues. On a psychological level, they frequently wrestle with an all-consuming obsession over body image, leading to low self-esteem, depression and anxiety. Behavioral signs include restrictive eating or binging, secretive purging behaviors, food hiding and peculiar eating rituals. Recognizing these multifaceted indicators is crucial for early intervention and support to help these students regain a healthy relationship with food and their bodies.

“My mom was always picking at herself in the mirror, I had body dysmorphia, and was getting bullied,” an anonymous source said.

“Abuse, BPD and PTSD,” another anonymous source said.

“I fell into a really bad depression and the sport I played didn’t help much,” a third anonymous source said.

“In 7th grade, my teacher started crying and told us that we should get our eating habits in a better place or else we would end up like her,” a fourth anonymous source said.

“I started missing parts of my classes because I was throwing up in the bathroom, and I’d faint because I hadn’t eaten in so long,” a fifth anonymous source said.

High school students are at a vulnerable stage of life, and some may be susceptible to developing eating disorders, often influenced by a variety of factors, including the actions and attitudes of parents or friends. Parents who place excessive emphasis on body image or have unrealistic expectations regarding their child’s appearance can inadvertently contribute to the development of eating disorders in their children. Similarly, peer pressure from friends, who might engage in extreme dieting or unhealthy behaviors, can lead students to feel the need to conform, even at the cost of their well-being. The pressure and the desire to fit in can converge, creating a perfect storm for high school students, ultimately putting them at risk of developing detrimental eating habits and distorted body image perceptions.

Parents, friends and educational institutions must foster a supportive environment that promotes healthy self-esteem, positive body image and open communication to help prevent such issues from arising.

“Life can be hard already, and an eating disorder makes life in the long term so much harder. It leads to a lack of energy and makes life in the long term just so much harder,” an anonymous source said. “It leads to a lack of energy and makes it hard to focus on anything else, like school, friends and hobbies. Please focus on what you enjoy, even if it’s just a tiny thing, and be kind to yourself.  It’s always easier said than done, but you can get out of it step by step when you’re ready.”

“You are more than your weight. Your weight does not define you. You have a beautiful smile, an infectious laugh and a bright light in a dark room,” an anonymous source said. “You deserve to be happy, and deserve to eat, no matter what you’re eating.”