Categories:

What Was I Made For?

What Was I Made For?

In the hallowed halls of high schools, a troubling concern lingers—the issue of harassment faced by young women. From subtle disrespect to blatant acts of aggression, the experiences of female students navigating the educational landscape are often tainted by unwarranted advances and uncomfortable encounters.

“I felt sort of exposed and as though I needed to cover up and hide away, and it is especially worse when I’m alone and feel in danger,” senior Jasmine Panbamrung said. “Boys and men have looked at me as if I were an object and described how they have felt about my appearance, which has made me feel disgusted.”

Harassment through catcalling, a recurring behavior exhibited by high school boys and, in more alarming instances, older men, is a widespread problem encountered by many high school girls. Verbal harassment involves unwelcome comments, lewd remarks, or inappropriate jokes that target a girl based on her gender. Non-verbal harassment includes gestures, looks, or suggestive actions that make girls uncomfortable. Women frequently endure comments on their bodies or suggestive actions, a pervasive issue that repeatedly goes unnoticed.

“I have been whistled at, people have tried getting my attention, slapped my butt, and some are even saying things like ‘no one has a butt that big or nobody arches their back like that,’” junior Vicky Flores said. “I have been harassed for having too much boobs or too much [butt]. It hurts because I didn’t have a choice to have the body I have. I didn’t ask for my body, it was simply given to me.”

Teenage girls who experience harassment often grapple with profound mental effects that can extend well beyond the incident itself. The emotional toll can manifest as anxiety, depression and a diminished sense of self-worth. Girls may also seek male validation for years to come after the harassment. Harassment may contribute to a heightened fear of public spaces, affecting their confidence and social interactions. Additionally, the internalization of blame and shame can lead to feelings of isolation and a reluctance to seek support. 

“I never told my mother about any of my harassment until a couple of years ago. 2022,” alumnus Alexa Lawhon said. “One thing led to another and I spilled everything to her. I never said anything because I was worried that she would be mad at me. Even though none of this was my fault.”

Sexual assault is an issue that many high school girls face. Often when girls come forward people do not believe them or are shunned by their peers. Sexual assault can come from anyone, from family members to trusted friends or partners. Addressing the issue of sexual assault is crucial, especially for young women. The fear of not being believed or facing social backlash often silences those who have experienced such trauma.

“A boy has touched me in inappropriate ways even after expressing my opposition to the situation. Others have also tried convincing me to be okay with situations like these and forcing my consent,” Panbamrung said. “This had not been the first time. This person was 17 years old at the time and he, without consent, performed sexual acts on me while clothed. I did not know what to do, who to tell, or if I should tell. He acted like nothing had happened after that, but since that day I’ve had a gross feeling in my stomach. It felt as though I was just a girl, a girl who had a bit of an [butt, a butt] to grind on, and thighs to grab.”

Harassment can come from anyone; this can include family members and close friends. When young girls experience harassment without knowing what it is, most never come forward. Girls may also try to keep the harassment a secret because their abuser would threaten to hurt their family or themselves. Most women never speak up about the harassment they’ve faced.

“I was sexually harassed and assaulted by two of my cousins. It happened from when I was six up till I turned 15 and I never knew it was actual harassment because nobody told me anything about it and to me, it had been happening for so long that my brain was just used to it. I was raped, abused, harassed with comments, and blackmailed into it so I wouldn’t tell anyone,” junior Vicky Flores said. “I was touched and forced to do things that a sixth grader should not know to do. I was forced to [orally gratify] my cousins, take off my clothes for them, and forced to make moves on them in a sexual manner.”

In the context of teenage boys, some behaviors that can be considered disrespectful towards girls include objectification, dismissive attitudes and engaging in derogatory language or jokes. Disregarding boundaries, pressuring for intimate activities or not valuing a girl’s opinions and feelings are also examples. Some older men may also engage in behaviors that objectify women and girls, such as making inappropriate comments about their appearance, treating them solely as objects of desire or disregarding their opinions and aspirations. 

“I was in seventh grade. It was lunchtime and I was sitting next to my boyfriend at the time with some of his friends and mine. He kept touching my chest and in between my legs under the table. He wouldn’t stop even if I tried to pull his hand away. Once he knew his friend was watching he kept going. His friend even called out what he should do to me next and my boyfriend went along with it,” Lawhon said. “Male teachers would walk by and see what was going on and wouldn’t say anything. I felt disgusting. Like I was on display. I wanted to disappear.”

“Although I have improved myself mentally I still cannot shake the feelings I had during my assault,” Lawhon said. “Once that happens at a young age you cannot shake it no matter how much therapy or advice you get. It is part of you forever. You can choose to let it consume you or you can breathe and move on,” 

It is crucial for girls to speak up about the harassment they face as it empowers them to demand the respect they deserve. Silence often perpetuates a culture of tolerance for inappropriate behavior, allowing harassment to persist unchecked. By voicing their experiences, girls not only bring attention to the issue but also contribute to breaking the stigma surrounding it.

“It is not your fault. You did not deserve any of that. You didn’t ask for it. You didn’t “lead” him on,” Lawhon said. “I’m so sorry you had to experience that. However, life does get better. You get stronger and you learn.”

View Story Comments
Donate to The Owl Flight
$10
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Joshua High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.