• October 7How 'bout them Owls? Congratulations Fighting Owls!

• April 28Congratulations NJROTC! Joshua NJROTC is a Distinguished Unit with Academic Honors!!

• January 6Happy 2017!!!

Final Cadence

On Wednesday, May 11, many seniors shared a bittersweet finale at the band concert. This marked the end of a high school music career and the beginning of a new chapter in the lives of the students about to graduate and move on. Through numerous competitions, marching seasons and UIL, seniors are thankful for all of the experiences they shared with their comrades and the life-lessons along the way.

For some students, joining band meant being with friends or having the chance to cheer on the football team at Friday night games. For others, it was because of a passion for music.

“When I was younger, I was inspired to join band by the distinctive sound of the clarinet,” senior Jeffrey Singleton said. “I loved it so much, and I still do.”

Some seniors have been in band since sixth grade and others joined later. Spending all this time surrounded by music and their instruments has influenced some seniors to further their education in the music field.

“I’ve grown a passion for music and my instrument,” senior Ashleigh Wilkerson said. “I would like to earn a degree in music composition.”

Being in band means long rehearsals, summer band camps, Friday night football games, and many other activities. Students in band invest many hours practicing their instrument or marching for their halftime show at games. Dedicating this time and hard work has made some of the seniors realize what they would miss the most about being in band.

“I will miss the awesome performances at contests,” Singleton said. “ However, I will not miss the long hours in the hot sun.”

This concert was more than just a concert – it was a bittersweet ending to a long journey. The seniors will continue to hold all their memories, friendships, and their  passion for music in their hearts.

“I will miss my friends that I call my family, the music, the hard work, and the directors,” Wilkerson said. “I am proud to say that I am part of SOJ, and I’m going to miss it.”