Filed under News

Texting, Driving

texting-and-drivingTexting is everywhere. It’s in classrooms and hallways, in movie theaters and parks; texting takes place even while having face-to-face conversations. Some people take it a step further and endanger all the lives around them while they’re behind the wheel. Some people text and drive.

This leaves many others to wonder why this happens.

“It’s just [because] it’s a habit,” Chemistry teacher Aaron King said.

Like all things, texting and driving can become a habit when done frequently. It just so happens this act is extremely dangerous and illegal. It is illegal in 46 states and 60 Texas cities. In addition to texting while driving being illegal, it is also potentially fatal. In 2012, 3,328 people were killed in distraction-related car accidents.

“Don’t make it a habit, because it’s hard to break,” King said.

King decided to no longer text and drive due to the likeliness of an accident and overall general danger of those actions. Mr. King is not the only driver on the road, however.  There are others to be concerned about, others who have not made the same decisions he has made.

“[If my parents knew] they would be very disappointed,” an anonymous senior said. “Because, when I first got my license, they were like ‘Okay, you can’t even look at your phone, we don’t even want you to play music.’”

It is not a surprise that most parents do not want their children driving distracted because driving is already difficult enough for new, inexperienced drivers and texting increases the likeliness of an accident by 23%.

“I do [text and drive] because it’s just a habit now,” anonymous senior said. “I used to not do it, and I always told myself I wasn’t going to do it, but slowly I sent one text and it grew into a habit; now it’s just what I do.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Texting, Driving”

1. Britney Borde on October 2nd, 2016 8:59 pm

Good job, Jaden!

Texting, Driving