• October 7How 'bout them Owls? Congratulations Fighting Owls!

• April 28Congratulations NJROTC! Joshua NJROTC is a Distinguished Unit with Academic Honors!!

• January 6Happy 2017!!!

Journey in Ring

Student Shares Greatest Fight

imageEvery person has an interesting story to tell. Fighters have the best ones and junior Alex Aponte has decided to share his. He has been boxing since he was four years old, but last year he battled his toughest fight yet. After his mother discovered an unusual spot on his back, he was diagnosed with melanoma skin cancer. Luckily, they caught it before it spread and became worse. The doctors cut it out, leaving him with a scar that resembles a gunshot wound. Although he didn’t have to go through chemotherapy, it was still a hindrance in his fighting career. Basically everything was effected except sleeping, which was still painful at times. After recovering, Aponte did not let this stop his journey in the boxing ring. He does not currently have any upcoming fights planned yet, but hopes to fight in the Golden Gloves Tournament in March.

“I have never lost a fight but I know I’m not the biggest, fastest, or strongest fighter,” Aponte said. “I just have heart, hands, and God in my corner.”

When he had the cancer, Aponte was not in a club. Instead he was trained at home by his father who is a Golden Gloves from LA.

“He is my biggest role model with everything,” Aponte said. “He is the best boxer I have ever met and I [would] put all my money on him if he ever got back in the ring.”

Now, he trains at Title Club in Forth Worth.

“It is a good gym and anyone who wants to should check it out,” Aponte said.

Boxing is a sport of constant improvement. After each day of training, every punch is thrown harder, every kick has more momentum, and every stance and movement is practiced with more balance and technique. When asked where he hopes to see himself in ten years, Aponte says he wants to be happy as a pro fighter and a good father.

“I want whatever comes but it wouldn’t be bad to see my name in MGM Grand,” Aponte said.

Like Aponte’s father and grandfather, he is an orthodox fighter. The traditional orthodox stance is when the boxer positions his or her left foot slightly farther in front of the right, thus having the weaker side closer to the opponent. Like any other sport, boxing takes a tremendous amount of skill and practice. Whether it’s jump roping for 30 minutes straight, slamming his fist into a 150 lb boxing bag, or dodging another person’s punches to boost his reflexes, Aponte knows his hard work is worth it. His passion for this sport is unbelievable as well as his strength to keep pushing himself.

“Boxing makes me feel like a gladiator,” Aponte said. “I can get in the ring with any opponent. I feel so light like air and I feel that nobody can touch me.”