Art for Thought

“Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.” –Edgar Degas

Danielle Ybarra, Managing Editor

For seven years now, JHS has hosted a “Gallery Night.” Gallery Night allows students and staff to showcase their art for others to see. When Gallery Night first began, it only had a few art pieces causing the event to take place in the community room, but now Gallery Night has become so well-known by art students, it has moved to the fine arts lobby and hallway. This year’s Gallery Night will be February 26, from 7:00 pm to 8:30pm.

“Seven years ago, we were in the community room and barely had enough art submitted to sparsely cover three walls; now we have the fine arts lobby which gives us enough room to expand as needed,” Host Cheryl Adkins said. “For the first time, we will have a guest artist, Mr. Lyndy Benson, who will not only have work on display but will also set up an easel and take questions as he works.”

See his gallery here.

Many students, other than art students, rarely hear about Gallery Night and have no idea JHS even hosts one. Gallery night is for students and staff, and it’s a great opportunity to get ones art work to be noticed. Last year Gallery Night had about 40 participants, some even submitted several pieces, giving the largest show to-date. This year, Adkins is encouraging all who wish to showcase their art, to participate in Gallery Night.

“There are no awards; we feel that every artist takes a chance showing their art,” Adkins said. “Knowing that our committee would be passing judgment on their creativity may discourage them from participating.”

Although there are no rewards, the artists are allowed to sell their art, which can act as their own personal award, or reward.

“Our hope is that Gallery Night continues to thrive and as the community becomes more involved, we outgrow the Fine Arts wing just as we did the Community Room,” Adkins said. “We hope to see everyone there.”