Susie’s Honor

Back to Article
Back to Article

Susie’s Honor

Adele Edwards, Editor-in-Chief

This year, English teacher Laura Rafael hosted the first-ever Annual Play Ride with Susie, a dirtbike ‘play ride’ in honor of her late mother who passed of breast cancer in October 2008.

“This event is not a race; it is a play ride meant to bring people together, tell stories, celebrate survivors, support fighters, and honor those who have lost the fight,” Rafael said.

The event was held on March 8 at Rocky Ridge Ranch in Decatur. About 30 people showed up.

“This location was chosen because it was my parents’ favorite place to camp/ride and it’s also where they had me spread their ashes,” Rafael said.

Rafael first had the idea to start this unique dirtbike event when she recovered her mother’s bike from a friend and restored it to its original condition.

“It was like having a piece of Mom right there in our shop next to my dirtbike,” Rafael said. “Lots of memories started coming back about Mom’s first attempts to race and all the fun we had as a family each race weekend.”

Rafael’s mother was admired and loved by many and will continue to be celebrated as this event lives on.

“She possessed a strength and courage I never knew she had until she was diagnosed and began her fight,” Rafael said. “She opened her home to those in need, allowed my brother and me to be exactly who [we] were, was not afraid of change, and had a smile that warmed up any room she was in.”

For more information about next year’s Annual Play Ride with Susie, contact Laura Rafael at [email protected]