Freedom of Choice

Adele Edwards, Editor-in-Chief

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
A few weeks ago, Scottish citizens voted on the independence of their country, resulting in the lowering of the national voting age to 16 years old. This dramatic change put the future of the country’s youth in their own hands.

“[Scotland made the right decision to let 16 year olds vote] because ultimately, they will be in charge,” junior Keely Adkins said. “They should have a right to say if they want to be a part of a country because in two-three years, they will be in society.”

Many 16 year olds feel like they possess the capability to vote on a major decision like this. They protest that it’s their country too, and they should be able to have a say in what goes on in their nation.

“I feel that the laws and decisions made now will effect my future so I should have a say in a matter that concerns my future,” Adkins said.

However, many teenagers admit that they’re still growing in life and the ways of the world. In other words, they wouldn’t want to vote because they don’t yet understand all that goes on in the hidden parts of the nation.

“I do not think I knew enough about my country when I was 16 to vote,” junior Veronica Vaughn said. “I still don’t think I know enough to understand America’s problems or have any part in solving them.”

Many teenagers believe that their peers are not capable of voting on something that would change their country’s history just yet. As a result of their young age, they just wouldn’t have the maturity to make decisions like this.

“I believe 16 year old children should not be able to vote because they might not be mature enough [or] educated enough to make a good decision,” Vaughn said.

Still, others think teenagers, although there are some setbacks to being this young, should have the right to vote if it is concerning their nation’s independence.

“I think my peers can be very immature and emotionally biased but if it were a matter of independence, they would get it together and make the right decision,” junior Catie Webb said.