Filed under Showcase, Sports

Put Pep Back in School’s Rep

The word “pep” in pep rally means energy or high spirit and rally mean assemble in a meeting. The both together can make people feel enthusiasm, happy or excited for the upcoming event.

Pep rallies were made to create and develop high school spirit and cheer local teams in fun way before a game or match takes place. Here, pep rallies are the same day as varsity football home games.

This year, we will have had seven pep rallies; in a normal high school student’s life he attends around 20-25 pep rallies for his high school life. Personally, this year was my first and last pep rally ever. In my home country, Spain, we don’t have pep rallies, homecoming dances or proms. We just have the final graduation for all the seniors, where we have dinner and go to nightclubs.

When I arrived here and one friend told me about the pep rallies, I didn’t understand what or why was the pep rallies. Now, I know a lot about them and really enjoy them because everybody is involved and happy during pep rallies and all the people cheer, scream or are loud and it connects and supports our football team, cheerleaders and Sweethearts with the rest of the high school.

Another exchange student also didn’t know much about pep rallies before arriving in the US.

“I had no idea about them and to be honest after hearing about it, I thought it was pepper-rally,” Akhalaia Salome from Georgia said.

I think other students like them too.

“I really like them,” Spanish exchange student David Gonzalez said.”I think they are really cool and I am looking forward to going to more.”

During pep rallies, my favorite part is when the cheerleaders dance around the gymnasium, the Sweethearts and the high school mascots, Hootie and Hattie, doing their performance.

I would love to have pep rallies, homecoming and proms in my home country but I don’t think it would work there, because in Spain the community is not so involved with the high school and normally we don’t have this same sport spirit. Here in Joshua, you can feel the support for the clubs and teams; you can see how all the people, students and community, cheer and support the high school in their own individual way. Some people put the owl star flag, volunteer or involve themselves in community activities.

Another Spanish exchange student shares this point of view.

“Yes,I think that they would be pretty different in Spain,” Gonzalez said. “They wouldn’t have all the athletes we have here and cheerleaders or anything like that.“

Other people in Joshua have some pretty good ideas to improve pep rallies.

“A better sound system would be wonderful,” Mrs Zachry said. “At least so we can be able to understand what is being said. It feels like Charlie Brown’s teacher is always the person on the microphone, regardless of whom is speaking.”

While hearing is a valid point, one student offered a different idea for pep rally improvement.

“Maybe introduce more and different things because it’s often the same [type of] thing,” French exchange student Sarah Astie said.

In my opinion, pep rallies are a funny activity that create a connection between the athletics teams and the high school, and it is a really good opportunity to have fun inside of the high school. If I have to choose one thing to improve them, it would be the implementation of different themes and activities for each one.