Remembering Barbara Bush

Taking a look into the life of an influential woman.

Olivia Allen, Editor-In-Chief

When a person thinks about influential women who have helped shape this country, figures like Rosa Parks, Jackie Kennedy, and Eleanor Roosevelt come to mind. In this very select group of women is perhaps one of the most prestigious women of our time – Barbara Bush.

In recent light of the passing of Mrs. Bush, many teachers across campus remember her legacy and what she left behind.

“She was a very genuine person,” Denise Lafferty, pre-calculus and Algebra II teacher, said. “[She was] very dignified and carried herself very gracefully.”

Mrs. Bush was the definition of an ‘all-American’ woman. She was married to a President, raised a President and a governor, and loved her country with a deep passion, which showed in all of her actions. She founded the Barbara Bush Foundation of Family Literacy which helped hundreds of children and parents achieve higher education in basic skills, such as reading or writing.

Mrs. Bush was married to her sweetheart George H.W. Bush in 1945 and had their first son and former President, George W. Bush the following year. In 1953, Pauline Robinson Bush was born into the family, but tragically died three months later due to Leukemia. John Ellis Bush, also known as Jeb, was the next born, followed by Neil Mallon Bush, Marvin Pierce Bush, and Dorothy Bush.

When Mrs. Bush became First Lady, she was diagnosed with Graves’ disease, which is an autoimmune disease that leads to a generalized over activity of the entire thyroid gland. Her diagnosis didn’t knock her off track, and she kept working hard and being positive even on the worst days, which is one of her most recognizable traits.

“My sophomore year of high school, the Ford Museum was dedicated, and Mrs. Bush was there,” US history teacher, Mrs. Brown said. “Her husband was vice president at the time, and so I saw her at several events at that dedication. She was just…really nice, took the time to talk to everybody- even to the kids, more than a lot of the other politicians and their wives that were there.”

Mrs. Bush’s legacy will continue to live on for many future generations as people pass down memories of the admirable woman she was and will forever be remembered as.

“She knew hardship, but she knew perseverance,”  Brown said. “And she was a hard-drivin’ mom. She was kind of that ‘helicopter mom’ before we had that term.”

https://www.biography.com/people/barbara-bush-9232727