• October 7How 'bout them Owls? Congratulations Fighting Owls!

• April 28Congratulations NJROTC! Joshua NJROTC is a Distinguished Unit with Academic Honors!!

• January 6Happy 2017!!!

Filed under Sports

State Track Champions

Women Bring Medals Home

On May 12, two students competed in the State UIL track competition at UT in Austin, and returned home with winning titles to their names. Competing in the discus event, senior Zoe Broadway earned gold, while junior Soren Underwood brought home silver, in the 800-meter run.

The hard work, time, and effort these ladies put in to achieve their goal of earning a medal at state was strenuous, but well worth it. Dedication and rigorous training were key for them to persevere toward achieving their individual goals.

“I lift three times a week, run a mile every morning, and do a lot of throwing workout drills to prepare myself,” Broadway said.

As for Underwood, workouts are focused mainly on her running skills. Underwood is sure to run six days out of the week, every morning, and after school at workouts with her trainers.

“I trained for this about six months, running twice every morning in the winter on my own personal time and once after school, but once the season really got started, we ran six days of the week with our trainers and coaches,” Underwood said.

Both students were sure to show great appreciation toward their coaches and mentors who helped them get this far. Broadway is thankful for her two coaches and trainers, Coach Bethel and Coach Pehrson.

“I definitely could not have earned the state championship if it weren’t for Coach Pehrson, who has been coaching me for five years now, and Coach Bethel, who has been helping me for seven years,” Broadway said. “They are my role models, I love them and I am really going to miss them when I am gone.”

Underwood is also grateful for her two trainers, Coach Walker and Coach Bethel, for the time they spent making sure she was state ready.

“Coach Bethel and Coach Walker were there for me every day after school to help me out, even if it meant putting in extra time,” Underwood said.

Following her winning throw, Broadway felt a great sense of accomplishment and relief, as well as the realization of finally obtaining her goal.

“After that 141 throw, I knew that no one else was going to throw a farther distance, and right then I knew I was the state champion,” Broadway said. “After I realized I had won, I felt a huge sense of relief knowing all my hard work had finally paid off.”

Excitement and exhilaration overtook Underwood as she walked into the massive track field at UT, which was filled to the brim with a cheering crowd welcoming her and her fellow athletes into the stadium.

“The whole atmosphere was amazing walking into the stadium. Every seat was filled in this giant arena, and it was really cool because I had never seen this many people at a track meet before,” Underwood said. “As we walked into the track stadium from the football stadium, everyone started standing up and cheering for us. I felt like a gladiator walking into a colosseum. It was unreal.”

Because of the great accomplishments of these students, their futures look promising. Broadway will be a part of the U.S. Naval Academy this upcoming year, where she will do the discus, shot, and hammer throw. Underwood is looking forward to talking with hopeful coaches from universities about earning scholarships to enter a school where she can run as well as study pre-law.