Filed under Opinions

Seriousness of standardized testing

Standardized testing has been in place in schools since the 1920s, and has defined the school curriculum for years. It is the focal point of much controversy, and faces both resistance and support. Standardized testing does not efficiently judge a student’s ability, and should not be taken so seriously.
When standardized testing was first introduced in public schools in the 1920s, intelligence tests had long been used in America to promote white supremacy, and distinguish between class lines. Today, with standardized testing still in place, society is upholding this system. Students with low income and minority backgrounds are hurt the most, as well as non-English speakers, and students with disabilities. Instead of bridging the gap between these disparities, standardized testing supports a system of inequality.

Some may argue that standardized testing gives teachers guidance on what to teach throughout the school year, and allows parents to see how their children compare with others locally and across the country. However, teachers should not just teach to the test, but instead, teach necessary information that the student will need later in life. Also, students should not be compared to each other, as some are better test-takers than others.

A standardized test is not a good indicator of a student’s ability. Colleges should not take these tests into high consideration, and instead, they should examine a student’s extracurricular activities, grades, and high school rank. Required essays are also a good way to get a more personal look at a potential student to that college. Standardized testing is not an accurate way to see how well a student would fare in a college environment, and they should not be considered on college applications.